Saturday, October 24, 2009

Unfortunate Needs

Each day is proving to be different, with some more difficult than others. Some days I awake more fatigued than I was when I went to bed. Others, I have mobility problems just getting from room to room, and I've adapted to using 2 canes to get around the house. Jaden's mom gave me these when her grandmother passed:



They have proven very helpful and have prevented me from falling many times, so if I've fallen 3 times this week, these have prevented maybe 10 times that number. The base of the quad cane is quite heavy for me, and I have difficulty using it but for short periods, and inside the house only. The walker is also cumbersome for outdoor use, and not much help if I'm traveling more than a block. A good friend gave me an offset aluminum cane like this [in all black], which I use for out of the house mobility:




I have what I call 'Unfortunate Needs'. There being more than one way to skin an animal, there are also more than one way to achieve outside the house mobility. I am desperate for something better than canes or a walker for getting to and from medical appointments, the grocery, local errands and such. The options are:


The adult tricycle. Allows me to not have to worry about my balance as I ride. Least expensive of the options. Unfortunately, even at $249.00, it is way out of my price range. I had ordered one of these just before The Thing in 2005. After The Thing, all UPS deliveries were cut off for some months and I have never had the $ to order another. I don't believe this would be a perfect solution because my strength gets sapped when I'm out in the sun. I'd have to see if I could ride to the grocery on the other side of the causeway. Regardless, it would allow me a real sense of freedom from this disease.

Next then are these, which would give me the power and the range to accomplish everything I needed to do. The chair is bus-friendly, the adult tricycle and the scooter are not. All are cost restrictive, but it is nice to think of the mobility either would offer.




I already have safe and secure storage here at the house. Kind of like a tiny garage. Unfortunately there is/will be no money for such a thing, thus, 'Unfortunate Needs'.


No comments: