Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Tethered Cord

Have you ever heard of an Obese Filum? Okay, the technical term is Fatty Filum, also known as Tethered Cord. Obese Filum just sounds cooler.

I had never heard of any of them until the Neurosurgeon told me that that was part of my problem.




Seems we all have this thing very similar to a rubber band in our spine that stretches when we bend in any direction. When you straighten back up, it pulls back into shape and helps to align your spinal cord. Another genetic thing, I understand.

Mine doesn't work. Knowing what it is now, I realize that mine hasn't worked in many years, if ever. I have ALWAYS had problems reaching down to tie my shoes, could NEVER do jumping jacks, certainly could not bend from side to side. Explains all those 'D's in gym class, why I couldn't play football, and why I never owned a Frisbee or climbed a ladder, eh?



There is a great rundown here: Tethered Spinal Cord

Again, the Neurosurgeon's request to do something about it was just DENIED by Mr. Levine's Medicaid.

Oh, and here I am. Essentially unable to move from where I sit and no relief from Medicaid. Does it help to say, 'Help, Mr. Levine. Help'?? Sorry, I forgot. I won't die from this, so It's benign.

Would it be fair to observe that you would like for me to hurry up and die Mr. Levine?

Oh, and I wet the bed until I was 14. I know why, now.

Bowel Incontinence, Diarrhea or Constipation are common. Urinary Incontinence, Frequency or retention are also common. Imagine that?

Thanks for all of your help, Medicaid.

No comments: