Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's The Economy Stoopid!

Chronic low back pain disability is the most expensive benign condition that is medically treated in industrial countries. It is also the number one cause of disability in persons under age 45. After 45, it is the third leading cause of disability. Disc disease costs the health care system more than $50 billion a year.

Did ya catch that? BENIGN. It means it is not going to kill me. Louisiana Medicaid has forced me to submit to torture for almost 4 years because my condition is not fatal. Should I equate Mr. Levine with Dick Cheney? They do seem to both favor torture.


To be fair... The Neurosurgeon ordered physical therapy. I am still working on finding one that takes Medicaid and that I can get to by bus. Oh, I forgot...  I can't take the bus anymore, and not once in 2 years has Medicaid been able to provide transportation to and from medical appointments for me. Everyone that I knew that had transportation, moved to other states after The Thing. Lack of transportation is a serious issue down here.

Hmmm... wonder what it costs us in GDP? Bet that's a lot more than $50 billion a year.

No comments: